Updated on 09 Mar, 2022
The Split DNS feature is to be employed when you have both external DNS and Split Routing configured on your VPN. It allows you to define your internal domain names that must be resolved using the external DNS server.
You can follow the steps below to enable the Split DNS feature and define your internal domain names.
1. Visit the UTunnel VPN website and click the LOGIN button at the top right to sign in with your UTunnel login credentials.
2. You will land on the UTunnel dashboard that displays the details of your Utunnel VPN server. Click on the Server tab at the top menu to view your servers.
3. Click on your preferred server to view more details about it and manage various server settings.
4. You will land on the server details page of that particular server. Select DNS from the left side menu.
5. The Split DNS option will be available only if you have already defined your external DNS servers. To activate Split DNS, select the Enable Split DNS checkbox and then input your internal domain names one at a time, clicking ADD after each one. To apply the changes, click SAVE CHANGES.
6. In the case of an integrated cloud VPN server, you'll see a pop-up message confirming your permission to restart the server. Click on Yes and this will automatically restart your UTunnel server.
7. For an on-premise (BYOS) VPN server, there'll be a pop-up message that confirms if you want to apply the changes. Click on Apply and now you will have to manually restart utnservice on your server.
8. Once the restart is complete and you connect to the VPN on your client devices, the added internal domain names will be resolved by the external DNS servers that you have defined in the DNS settings.
If you have any queries, please connect with our customer support and we will be happy to assist you.