Configure OpenVPN with Tunnelblick on macOS
You can use Tunnelblick to securely connect your Mac to a UTunnel OpenVPN server. Tunnelblick is a free, open source graphic user interface for OpenVPN. This guide will walk you through configuring UTunnel OpenVPN with Tunnelblick.
1. Access tunnelblick.net from your favorite browser. Click on the Download tab and select the stable version of the app to download.
2. Click to download the app and select Allow to proceed downloading the setup for Tunnelblick.
3. Once the download is complete, the file can be located from the Downloads folder. Double click on the icon to run the Tunnelblick installer. Click Open button to continue.
4. The downloaded Tunnelblick will be mounted as a disk.
5. A prompt confirming the installation of Tunnelblick installer pops up based on your device’s security settings. Click Open button to initiate the installation. Once selected, you will be prompted to enter your Administrator credentials. Click on the OK button to continue.
6. Once installed, you will get a prompt for VPN configuration. Select I have configuration files option and then click OK.
7. To configure the OpenVPN server, you need to download .ovpn files from the dashboard of your UTunnel server.
8. Select from either UDP or TCP to download the .ovpn file.
9. The file will be downloaded and saved in a specific folder. Here the file is downloaded in the Downloads folder. Right click on the file and select Open With option and click Tunnelblick option.
10. You will get a notification to select who all can access the VPN. Here we have selected Only Me option.
11. Enter the administrator username and password when prompted.
12. Once the installation is completed, a notification message pops up near the Tunnelblick icon at the upper-right corner of the screen.
13. Click on the Tunnelblick icon at the top right area of the screen. If you have Growl notification installed, notification messages appears. Click Connect button to connect the UTunnel VPN. You can confirm that the connection was successfully established from the status after initializing the VPN.