How to setup UTunnel VPN Server with Linode
** Please contact support if you need technical assistance to setup On-Premise Server. **
This guide will help you to setup UTunnel VPN server with popular Cloud provider Linode. There are two methods to create UTunnel VPN server with Linode.
The first option is to create server with our Cloud option. With Cloud option, you can create UTunnel server with Linode from our dashboard itself. This method is not recommended for business use. Click here for the instructions to setup Cloud server.
Another option is to create a Linode from your own Linode account and use our On-Premise option to setup UTunnel VPN server. The whole process is comprised of three stages,
First, create a Linode instance and note down it's IP address.
Second, login to the UTunnel dashboard and create a server with the newly created Linode's IP address. It will provide you the registration token.
Third, SSH into the newly created Linode and complete the regitration process with the registration token.
The detailed instructions are given below.
1. Login to https://cloud.linode.com and click on the StackScripts menu on the left side of the page.
2. On StackScripts page, select 'Community StackScripts' tab and type utunnel in the search field, it should display the utunnel-vpn StackScript in the table. Click on 'utunnel/utunnel-vpn' script (highlighted in the below image)
3 Click on 'Deploy new Linode' button on UTunnel-VPN's StackScript page.
4. Select Region, Linode Plan of your choice and click on Create button on right side of the page.
5. Note down the newly created Linode's IP address when the deployment is completed and it's ready to use.
The first stage ends here. Next, you have to login to UTunnel dashboard and proceed with Create Server and complete the payment.
1. Login to UTunel dashboard and click on either Create a Server now option or select Create Server button to create a new server.
2. You will land on the Create Server screen. Here you can provide your billing address details. This step is optional. You can either provide the details and click on the Proceed button or select the Skip button to do it later from My Account tab on your dashboard.
3. The next step is to select On-Premise option and enter theserver details as given below:
- Package: You can select from Basic or Standard subscription options
- Server Type: Select On-Premise
- Server Name: An easily identifiable name of your choice
- IP address: Enter your server IP address
- VPN accounts: Select the number of VPN users you want to allow access to this server
- Coupon: Enter if you have any coupon available
Click on the Proceed button toward the right bottom of the screen.
4. You will be now on the Order Summary screen which displays the details of your order. Click PROCEED.
5. Now enter your credit card details as required on the screen and click on Pay Now option.
6.You will be redirected to the dashboard now. Here you can see the status of server creation.
7. You will be redirected to the Server Details screen where the registration token is displayed. Please copy the registration token to safe place, this token is required when you deploy the server.
8. Now it's the time to connect to your server via SSH. You will need sudo access to complete below steps. After the successful login, execute below commands. Remember to replace the string 'REGISTRATION_TOKEN' in the first command with the actual token you obtained in above step.
sudo /utunnel/bin/utnservice register REGISTRATION_TOKEN
Now it's the time to start UTunnel Service on your server. Run following command for the same.
sudo /utunnel/bin/utnservice start
9. Make sure that inbound connections to the following ports are allowed to accept VPN connections.
Ports used for OpenVPN connections
- TCP 443
- UDP 443
- UDP 53 (if scramble VPN is enabled)
Ports used for IPSEC connections
Now your server would be ready to accept VPN connection. Invite users into your server and start using VPN.