How to set up a DigitalOcean VPN Server with UTunnel VPN
** Please contact support if you need any technical assistance to set up the On-Premise Server. **
This guide will help you to set up a VPN server on your DigitalOcean Droplet using UTunnel’s cloud VPN server solution.
UTunnel enables easy VPN server deployment with many popular cloud providers and DigitalOcean is one among them. UTunnel VPN One-Click App is available in the DigitalOcean marketplace, making server deployment and management hassle-free for DigitalOcean users.
Please find the detailed instructions below on how to set up your UTunnel VPN server in DigitalOcean:
1. Log in to your DigitalOcean account and click on the Get Started with a Droplet button shown on your DigitalOcean account dashboard.
2. While choosing an image for creating a Droplet, click on the Marketplace tab and search for UTunnel using the search field and select the UTunnel VPN app.
Then, choose your preferred server type, size, and location based on your requirements to deploy the DigitalOcean instance.
3. Your Droplet will now be listed on your DigitalOcean account dashboard. When the server deployment is finished, copy the Droplet's IP address.
4. Now, sign up for an Individual or Organization account with UTunnel VPN based on your requirements. Then, log in to the UTunnel dashboard and click on either the Create Server Now or the Create Server button on the UTunnel dashboard.
5. You will then be prompted to provide your billing address details. You can either provide the details or skip the step to do it later.
6. The next step is to select your subscription and server type. You should choose the On-Premise option here and enter the server details as given below:
- Package: You can select either the Basic or Standard subscription plan
- Server Type: Select On-Premise
- Server Name: An easily identifiable name of your choice
- IP address: Enter your DigitalOcean Droplet’s IP address
- VPN accounts: Select the number of VPN users you want to allow access to this server
- Coupon: Enter the coupon code if you have any
Then, click on the Proceed button located towards the right bottom of the screen.
7. Complete the payment and then you will be redirected to the UTunnel dashboard where you can see the status of server creation.
8. Once that process is finished, you will be redirected to the Server Details screen where a registration token will be displayed. Copy this registration token.
9. Now, connect to your DigtialOcean Droplet via SSH. You will need sudo access to complete the following steps. After the successful login, execute the commands given below. Replace the string 'REG_TOKEN' in the first command with the token you obtained in the above step.
sudo /utunnel/bin/utnservice update
sudo /utunnel/bin/utnservice register REG_TOKEN
Now, start the UTunnel Service on your DigitalOcean VPN server by running the following command.
sudo /utunnel/bin/utnservice start
10. Make sure that inbound connections to the following ports are allowed to accept VPN connections.
Ports used for OpenVPN connections
UDP 53 (if scramble VPN is enabled)
Ports used for IPSEC connections
Now your server would be ready to accept VPN connections. Invite users into your server and start using the VPN.
If you require any further assistance, you can open a support ticket here or email us at [email protected] and we'll be happy to help!